What is a traditional funeral service?
A traditional funeral service tends to be the main package offered by most funeral homes, and will typically follow this structure:
- Viewing or visitation - A 2 or 3 day period during which loved ones can view the body and pay their respects to the family.
- Funeral service - A funeral service will follow the viewing, which is held at the funeral home, place of worship, crematorium or by the graveside.
- Burial or cremation - Following the funeral service, the burial or cremation will take place.
- Funeral reception or wake - A gathering held after the funeral, where loved ones can remember the deceased in a more relaxed environment.
How much does a traditional funeral service cost?
A traditional funeral in the UK now costs an average of £4,184 - and that's just for a basic funeral. Basic funeral costs include the fees for the cremation or burial, doctor, funeral director, and minister or celebrant.
If you want to organise a funeral with optional extras, such as a wake or gathering, venue hire and flowers, your total cost could end up at an all-time high of £9,263.
Whilst the cost of a traditional funeral service is set to reach over £5,000 in just five years' time, there are some valid reasons why people choose a traditional funeral.
Benefits of a traditional funeral service
- The familiarity of a traditional service can offer reassurance during a difficult time.
- For some, a traditional funeral with a full burial service helps loved ones to mourn their loss and get closure.
- Traditional funerals have typically been the more customary choice, so if you or your loved one are more conventional, then this is a good option to consider.