The wishes of the deceased
The wishes of the deceased are an important consideration in any funeral arrangement; however, these wishes are particularly important for LGBTQ+ funerals. This is because:
- Many members of the LGBTQ+ community may wish to have their sexual/ gender status remain secret from those they didn’t tell when they were alive, and you must respect this when planning their funeral.
- The person who has died may want to be dressed in clothes that are not ‘gender conforming’ and this will need to be respected. Depending on whether the person has chosen a cremation or burial, the clothing they are allowed to be dressed in will vary so always discuss this with your funeral director.
- Some LGBTQ+ people may choose a religious ceremony in which case you can ask your funeral director to put you in touch with a queer-affirming minister.
- Some LGBTQ+ people may wish to have no funeral, but instead a celebration of life ceremony. In which case, a direct cremation is a perfect way to celebrate their life in a more personal way that reflects their beliefs. There are many queer friendly direct cremation providers in Great Britain that can help you plan an LGBTQ+ celebration of life.
Sometimes, people pass away unexpectedly, without their funeral wishes being known. In this case, it is up to you and loved ones to arrange a funeral that you think will respect the persons beliefs and reflects their individual personality and identity.
Celebrating the life of a member of the LGBTQ+ community
Aside from funerals, there are many ways to celebrate the life of someone in the LGBTQ+ community. How you choose to celebrate your loved one is a personal and unique choice, but if you are looking for some more ideas, we have a few subtle LGBTQ+ memorial ideas below:
- Wear a badge with an LGBTQ+ pride flag on it.
- Support LGBTQ+ awareness days.
- Donate to an LGBTQ+ charity.
- Listen to their favourite music from LGBTQ+ artists.
Direct Cremation: Looking for an LGBTQ+ friendly service?
If you need any further advice on this topic or are looking to arrange a direct cremation, get in touch with our expert team today.
At Celebration of Life, we offer one of the UK’s lowest-price simple and inclusive direct cremations, both pre-paid and at-need. We’re available 24/7, whenever you need us. So, if you’re looking for an affordable and fuss-free direct cremation service, contact us at Celebration of Life today – we’re always happy to help.